History

Downstream of perennial springs......

The Moulin David is located right in the centre of Divonne, on a leat (water supply channel ) from the river Divonne-Versoix whose source sits at the foot of Mont Mussy and flows into Lake Geneva at Versoix (Canton of Geneva). It was built 50 metres downstream of four perennial springs (Barbilaine, Emma, Vidart and Ausone), on an incline that allows the water to drop from a height: an ideal place to turn a water wheel.

Divonne aqueduct

….that have a thousand year old history

The Celts left votive offerings to Divona, the goddess of the abundant springs worshipped all over Gaul.
The Romans made use of the spring “Emma” from the 1st century. They fed its water down to Noviodunum (Nyon), the urban centre of the “Colonia Julia Equestris », by means of a 10km long underground aqueduct . A section of the aquaduct can be seen along avenue de l’aqueduc. A reconstruction (see photo) has been built alongside Divonne lake.

Le Moulin David

A flour mill recorded in 1353

« Les forges de Divonne et de Mijoux entre 1353 et 1400 » (Forges in Divonne and Mijoux between 1350 and 1400) by the historian Alain Mélo mentions a feudal mill in the location of the current Moulin David.
Then mills increased in number
Fulling mills, rolling mills, sawmills, paper mills, machine workshops (turning and cutting), forges, trip hammer mills and diamond works, all operated in Divonne until the 19th century. The mill took the name “David” from the David family who owned the mill. It had four paddle wheels: three on the right bank of the leat (water supply channel), and another on the left bank which operated a fulling mill.

Hydrotherapy establishment 1849

1849

First hydrotherapy establishment founded by Dr Paul Vidart.

Edison light bulb 1879

1879

Edison files his patent for an electric light bulb under vacuum with a durable carbonised Japanese bamboo filament.

Eugène Goudard 1883

1883

The industrialist Eugene Goudard buys the moulin David and the plots of land on the left bank, where he builds a diamond works whose grindstones are driven by the mill wheels.

Louis Dumont hydroelectric plant 1884

1884

Louis Dumont builds a hydroelectric power plant on the Valserine, making Bellegarde the first town in France to be lit by electric light bulbs.

Thermal baths and electricity 1887-1888

1887-1888

When it first opens, the new hydrotherapy facilities are lit by gas lamps. In 1887 the gas supply pipework proves to be defective. Eugene Goudard (who is also a Société des Bains administrator), makes the hydraulic power of the mill available to the Société des Bains on a trial basis for one season to operate a dynamo. This allows the hydrotheraphy facilities and associated hotels to be lit by 250 electric lamps (each one 18 candela).
On 28th May 1888 the board of directors, noting that the installation of electricity in all facilities had shown good results, rents the Moulin David. Henceforth the mill is a hydroelectric power plant producing 110 V direct current. The same year, the Moulin David water wheel is replaced by two turbines installed in a pool.

1896

The Société des Bains buys the mill and hydroelectric power installation

1901

The town of Divonne builds a hydroelectric power plant at the Pont des iles.

Converter group 1902

1902

Installation of a motor-generator to convert the 440V direct current provided by the municipal power plant at Pont des Îles to 110 V direct current.

Winterthur 1907 combustion engine

1907

Purchase of the Winterthur backup engine.

Francis 1930 turbines

1930

Replacement of the two Fourneyron turbines with two Francis turbines made by Ateliers des Charmilles in Geneva. One of these is still functioning in its original location. The other can be seen in the Place de l’Office de Tourisme.

1940s

Arrival of alternating current with the “Forces Motrices de Savoie” which would be nationalised by EDF in 1946. The Moulin David power plant continues to supply the emergency lighting of the casino with 110V direct current until 1992.

1992 / 1993

Closure of the Moulin David hydroelectric power plant.
The town of Divonne buys the Moulin David and uses it as a storage space. The plan is to eventually demolish everything, including the machines.

Georges Leskens and the 2001 team

2001

George Leskens, a retired CERN Engineer decides to save the plant and restore the machines to working order. He gathers together retired engineers, technicians, and mechanics from CERN together with Divonne metalworker Gerard Vindret. Other locals from Divonne and the Pays de Gex join them. They are supported by the Divonne town council and the “Services Industriel de Genève”. The volunteers would take twelve years to put everything back in working order.

2004

Creation of the Divonnelectro association.

Rhone-Alps Heritage Awards 2015

2015

Divonnelectro wins the Prix du Patrimoine Rhônalpin.

Since

Acquisition of teaching materials for introductory electricity sessions in schools. The David mill is now a living museum in the making.